The NI Alpaca Group arranges training courses, to help us understand how to better care for our wonderful animals.
In January 2018 Amberly Alpacas, in association with the NI Alpaca Group, host a one-day practical course on pregnancy, birth and neonatal care of alpacas. The course covered the first few months of an alpaca’s life, exploring:
- The birthing process, what can go wrong and how to deal with it
- Management of the newborn
- Understanding colostrum
- Congenital deformities
- Bone development and rickets
- Understanding and tackling parasites
- Nutrition and growth
- Implementing a suitable vaccination programme
The training was delivered by Sarah Caldwell, Calweton Veterinary Group.
Over 50 alpaca owners, breeders and enthusiasts, along with their vets and other animal health care professionals, from all over Ireland (and beyond) attended this very interesting, engaging and useful training course.